Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sweet Tea and Chocolate Pudding

My dear friend Jessica, who has previously lived in Iquitos, shared with me the wisdom of bringing along a few comforts from home for my extended time here. I decided on Lipton tea bags, and so I made a gallon of tea yesterday. OH, MY GOODNESS! Sweet tea has never tasted so good.

Regarding another lucky find, on one of my trips to the mercado, I discovered chocolate pudding mix. Of course, my spoiled self is used to the instant kind, so I was taking a big risk in buying the kind that must be cooked. After making my beloved sweet tea, I sang out loud while dancing in front of the stove ¨constantly stirring¨my pan of chocolate powder mixed with milk. Having never cooked on a gas stove before I was sure I would probably scorch the pudding, but it actually tasted really good for dessert last night.

Nathan and I made the trek to the airport at 5:30 this morning to put Jim and Robert, our two man team from First Presbyterian, Sumter, SC, on a plane back to the States. We have been running errands all morning and have a lot to accomplish today in getting ready for the next group to arrive Saturday morning.

I know some of you have tried to post comments and have had some difficulty. You can still certainly email me at mickeymac987@hotmail.com at any time as well. Thanks to all of you who have posted comments and/or sent emails already. It is nice to hear from home.

Nos vemos...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Pam, this is Joy Vaughn (Buddy and I are SEND International missionaries from Taiwan). I was looking at Westminster's website and followed the link to your blog. I was really blessed as I read through your different posts. It is wonderful to see how God has given you a love for the people there, and you have been obedient to God's call to go and serve Him there. I hope you have a wonderful summer. Remember - God loves to show Himself strong to those who hearts are full His (my pararphrase).

    ReplyDelete

Recommended Reading

  • The Bible
  • Serving with Eyes Wide Open - Doing Short Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence - David A. Livermore
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood - Serving the World in Christlike Humility - Duane Elmer
  • Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help (And How to Reverse It) - Robert D. Lupton
  • When Helping Hurts-Alleviating Poverty Without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself - Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert
  • Shadow of the Almighty - Elizabeth Elliot
  • Messy Spirituality - Michael Yaconelli
  • The Irresistible Revolution - Shane Claiborne
  • Peace Child - Don Richardson
  • If God Should Choose - Kristen Stagg
  • In the Presence of My Enemies - Gracia Burnham
  • Inside Afghanistan - John Weaver
  • Same Kind of Different as Me - Ron Hall and Denver Moore
  • Through Gates of Splendor - Elizabeth Elliot
  • End of the Spear - Steve Saint