Thursday, June 12, 2008

Arrival of an Intern

I have no idea what condition Nathan will be in when I finally retrieve him from the airport this afternoon. I headed out to pick him up at 6 a.m. this morning, and all the way there I kept thinking to myself, ¨Man, it´s foggy.¨ Talk about prophetic! I got to the airport just in time to see many disgruntled passengers getting out of line, having heard that the plane they thought they would be boarding, also carrying Nathan, would not be arriving until 5:30 this afternoon due to dense fog. I should be a weather woman...

Meanwhile, Villa, Ina, and I continue to work our hineys off getting ready for the groups to arrive. Ina and I have scrubbed every square inch of the Jardin house - we are considering signing a commercial deal for Pine-Sol - and Villa is replacing light bulbs, copying keys, fixing the water pump, and making other necessary repairs.

It is an exciting time. I wasn´t sure I would be ok even for a few days here all by myself, but in spite of the busyness of my days I have been very peaceful. Of course it doesn´t hurt that I brought along speakers for my iPod so I have music blasting throughout the house while I am working. Nothing beats a good mix of clean rap songs accompanied by the Bee Gees and some praise and worship music. Villa and Ina don´t say anything, but it might be interesting to hear what they are thinking of my choice of tunes.

For now it´s off to the market to get some fruit to go with my sandwich for lunch.

1 comment:

  1. i laughed aloud at the thought of your blaring that mix of music! :)

    ReplyDelete

Recommended Reading

  • The Bible
  • Serving with Eyes Wide Open - Doing Short Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence - David A. Livermore
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood - Serving the World in Christlike Humility - Duane Elmer
  • Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help (And How to Reverse It) - Robert D. Lupton
  • When Helping Hurts-Alleviating Poverty Without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself - Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert
  • Shadow of the Almighty - Elizabeth Elliot
  • Messy Spirituality - Michael Yaconelli
  • The Irresistible Revolution - Shane Claiborne
  • Peace Child - Don Richardson
  • If God Should Choose - Kristen Stagg
  • In the Presence of My Enemies - Gracia Burnham
  • Inside Afghanistan - John Weaver
  • Same Kind of Different as Me - Ron Hall and Denver Moore
  • Through Gates of Splendor - Elizabeth Elliot
  • End of the Spear - Steve Saint