Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Lima Airport

The day began with tears - saying good-bye to various friends and family, especially Mom, was a bit difficult - but the emotions passed quickly when I got on the plane at GSP and was seated beside a woman who was flying for the first time and was scared to death. Talking her through take-off and landing was a welcome diversion. Now I sit in Lima at 2 a.m., waiting for a 5 a.m. flight to Iquitos. Tired doesn't begin to describe the state I am in after having been up extremely late for two consecutive nights and having just endured more than 6 hours on a plane with a little Peruvian girl, who looked to be about 3 years old, and who was determined to scream (whether in play with her 5 brothers and sisters or in irate response to her mother) for the entire flight.

I look forward to my arrival at El Jardin; I always feel like I'm home when I get there. I also look forward to crashing for a few hours of solid sleep.

Gratefulness is what I feel when I think about all the precious people who support me in this mission. Thank you for your continuous prayers, for the many e-mails and blog comments I will receive throughout the summer, and for the smiling faces I will see when I arrive home in August.

Until later...

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you are there safe and sound. Have a wonderful time, which iam sure you will. We will be in the burg on your return. Take care. Love, Lesley

    ReplyDelete

Recommended Reading

  • The Bible
  • Serving with Eyes Wide Open - Doing Short Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence - David A. Livermore
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood - Serving the World in Christlike Humility - Duane Elmer
  • Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help (And How to Reverse It) - Robert D. Lupton
  • When Helping Hurts-Alleviating Poverty Without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself - Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert
  • Shadow of the Almighty - Elizabeth Elliot
  • Messy Spirituality - Michael Yaconelli
  • The Irresistible Revolution - Shane Claiborne
  • Peace Child - Don Richardson
  • If God Should Choose - Kristen Stagg
  • In the Presence of My Enemies - Gracia Burnham
  • Inside Afghanistan - John Weaver
  • Same Kind of Different as Me - Ron Hall and Denver Moore
  • Through Gates of Splendor - Elizabeth Elliot
  • End of the Spear - Steve Saint