Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Then Sings My Soul…

Sunday morning was hectic trying to get everyone in this week's group and all their materials for the week's work projects ready to go to Gallito for church. I didn't want to find myself in the same place I had landed last week, so I opted to stay behind and worship on my own. With my Bible and Bible study book in tow, I perched at the table on the screened porch. From there I could be alone with God, study, and listen to the music from the service at the Iquitos church next door. I was enjoying soaking up the Word when suddenly I froze - yet another familiar tune permeated the air waves around me as the congregation on the other side of my porch sang How Great Thou Art, in Spanish, of course.
(Photo - Maria and Me)

I know I sound like a broken record, and at the risk of repeating myself for the millionth time, there is no doubt that the Spirit was moving all over the screened porch of El Jardin at that moment. Unless you've been here and heard it and felt it yourself, I cannot possibly describe to you what it is like to hear these songs. It is a moment when the hair on the back of your neck stands up (much akin to a territorial dog about to strike, only without the malice), goose bumps cover your entire body, tears well up in your eyes even though you don't have the slightest urge to cry, and all you can do is close your eyes, lift your hands, and barely mumble, "Thank you, God." Romans 8:26 says, "We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express." Thus the line, "then sings my soul."

My soul sang again Monday when I was honored with an invitation to little Maria's birthday party. Ina, her mother, has worked with the gringo groups here for years. Ina is a very quiet, reserved woman who is not just punctual, but shows up at the Jardin at least 10 minutes early every morning. She is a hard worker, doing whatever is asked of her, and frequently going the extra mile without being asked to do so. I've worked with Ina for several years now and have always made it a point to say 'thank you' daily, as this mission surely would suffer without her, and I've tried occasionally to chat with her, showing interest in her as a person, not just someone who comes to work here. I've never really felt like I was making any progress …until now. I was sitting at the kitchen table with my computer, entering info from a pile of receipts into the appropriate spreadsheets, when she almost whispered my name. I looked up to see the color flooding her face, working its way from her neck to her scalp, and, as she blushed as though she were ashamed to be making a request of me, she invited me to share in the celebration of her daughter's birthday with her and her family. I accepted the invitation and she told me she would return at 4:00 to pick me up. I continued my day with yet another enormous lump lodged in my throat, because I understood that this private woman thought enough of me to invite me into her world.

I was welcomed with open arms by everyone into the party. We sang Happy Birthday in both English and Spanish, little Maria danced and played with her cousins while Ina, big Maria (Ina's sister) and I rattled on as only women can do, getting to know each other on a level we had never broached before. Two hours later I needed to get back to the Jardin, because I had a hungry group of gringos waiting for me to take them to dinner. Ina insisted on accompanying me, just to make sure I arrived home safely. As I stepped from the motokar, handing money to the driver, she told me she would take care of the fare; I told her it was the least I could do for the pleasure I'd been given of sharing in her child's birthday. She nodded ok and her last words to me were, "See you tomorrow. Thank you for accepting my invitation."
(Photo - Maria - Cake Face after Blowing out Her Candle)

Like a bolt of lightning, it struck me that she had been so timid when inviting me because she was afraid I would say no. In spite of her fear, this sweet, kind, gentle woman (who has no idea how much I respect her) invited me anyway. Isn't that what God calls us to do as Christians? To invite others to know Him; to risk rejection; to forget about ourselves and take a chance on someone else for a change; to get out of our boxes and to release Him from the one we've placed Him in. Oh, that we would all be more like Ina.

(Photo - Ina with her Great-Niece, Samantha)

I saw God today...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Pam! What a beautiful story. Obviously all your seemingly little acts of kindness and respect to Ina have planted seeds of warmth and love in her heart. God is working through you---that's the clearest sign that He's working IN you too. Keep coming out of the box, Mighty One, keeping coming out of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pamelita - I'm so envious. I fell in love with Ina and little Maria and then also glad to meet her sister Maria. I too believe she is such a quiet & reserved woman and such a hard hard worker. You have been so good and kind to her, I know she was honored you got to come to the party. give them hugs from me.

    ReplyDelete

Recommended Reading

  • The Bible
  • Serving with Eyes Wide Open - Doing Short Term Missions with Cultural Intelligence - David A. Livermore
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood - Serving the World in Christlike Humility - Duane Elmer
  • Toxic Charity: How Churches and Charities Hurt Those They Help (And How to Reverse It) - Robert D. Lupton
  • When Helping Hurts-Alleviating Poverty Without Hurting the Poor...and Yourself - Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert
  • Shadow of the Almighty - Elizabeth Elliot
  • Messy Spirituality - Michael Yaconelli
  • The Irresistible Revolution - Shane Claiborne
  • Peace Child - Don Richardson
  • If God Should Choose - Kristen Stagg
  • In the Presence of My Enemies - Gracia Burnham
  • Inside Afghanistan - John Weaver
  • Same Kind of Different as Me - Ron Hall and Denver Moore
  • Through Gates of Splendor - Elizabeth Elliot
  • End of the Spear - Steve Saint